Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Bible study

"Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ" John Piper.

The idea is that the group does this independently, together. We meet up once a week to discuss it.

Lesson 1 was fairly easy. It introduced the topic, the goal and posed a few, short, thought provoking questions.

I like to start first with definitions of the words:
See:
1 a
: to perceive by the eye b : to perceive or detect as if by sight
2 a : to have experience of b : to come to know c : to be the setting or time of
3 a : to form a mental picture of : visualize b : to perceive the meaning or importance of : understand c : to be aware of : recognize

Savor

1
: to give flavor to : season
2 a : to have experience of :taste b : to taste or smell with pleasure : relish c : to delight in : enjoy

One of the questions asks if you can see Christ without savoring Him. I think there are two ways to look at this. First, as a Christian I think if you truly see Christ then you would recognize Him and therefore "savor" Him. I do think, however, that you can see Christ such as in His creation and not know Christ and experience Him without savoring Him.

Have you ever been asked by your parents "Are hearing me or are you listening to me?" I think it can be like that with Christ. To see Him without seeing Him.

A second part of the study asks the participant to list attributes of Jesus that they love.
The more I thought about it the more I realized I love the 'human' parts of Jesus the best.
I love how accessible He is. How He walked beside people and spoke with them rather than to them. Our politicians don't even do that and they are no one really in comparison.
I love that he healed a man with some spit and some mud.
I love His passion.
I love His anger.
Anyway, Lesson 2 looks much harder. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment